[Testing] X11(simple desktop) + Chromium(web browser) in a simple installer for Stretch

I have a question I installed VNCServer using this link

[[HowTo] Install a vnc server on the Raspberry pi]
([HowTo] Install a vnc server on the Raspberry pi)

Works great so would I need to install another window manager or can I use the one installed to support VCNServer?
or am I wrong and he VNC_server isn’t using xwindows at all?

Second question
If VNCServer uses a Xwindow manager and you can use the xwindow items that support it is it possible to switch between Kodi and chromium using virtual windows or something similar to alt-tab?

in order to get the vnc-server to work with your xxwindows installation remove medicenter service as required in the service file, then vncserver wont close when kodi does:

[Unit]
Description=VNC Server
After=network-online.target
Requires=network-online.target

Second question, as I see it there is no way of alt-tabing between kodi and Xwindows right now. I tried running Kodi from within X but Kodi wont let me alt-tab out of it.

Hi All,

sorry if I am going out of topic, but recently was been released a very minimalist browser which works through electron:

https://minbrowser.github.io/min/

I have no idea if the PI’s or Vero can handle such kind of application but its minimal approach fits well for a mediacenter.

What happens if you press \?

not a thing :frowning:

Pi doesn’t support Direct Rendering Management (currently), so you can’t run Kodi as a full screen X11 app.

I have disabled \.

That explains why =), good thing too, if you got a media-centered OS I think you shouldn’t run the mediaplayer in X anyway.

It depends on the platform.

i want to install difrent apps like firefox on x11 is it possible and how can i do ??

This is how to install firefox:

sudo apt-get install firefox-esr

It’s possible to install most X applications that’s in Debian jessie repository. Keep in mind, the limitations of Pi2/Pi3 like memory.

u r the best coder on this forum may be u can help me…
my osmc on
jdownloader
transmission
x11
is still installed.

i want to open jlnp files over x11 i cant do that on search in internet i found some documents but i cant doit
iceviesel and icedtea plugin on raspiban

can i use it on your script to open JLNP file

Lol, I’m not a coder at all, just a script mechanic. About JNLP files, after googleing some, I dont think it’s gonna be an easy task, if even possible. Found this when searching:

No webstart or plugin available for the ARM

This is beyond my knowledge, so I don’t think I can help you, sorry.

:slight_smile: here is my guide :slight_smile:

OSMC + X11 + Firefox + Javaplugin…

First install osmc (İts important very :slight_smile: )
use Joakin x11 install script…

Firefox and Java install…

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk
sudo apt-get install iceweasel
sudo apt-get install icedtea-7-plugin

sudo su

cd /etc/firefox-esr
mkdir plugins
cd plugins
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/IcedTeaPlugin.so .

reboot

open X11 and use your java apps :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Glad it was that easy, enjoy.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does Netflix work through Chromium?
Thank you!!

Short answer is: No

Hi @joakim_s

I’ve Openvpn working on kodi osmc but when i go into x11 desktop openvpn stops. I have to start openvpn from command line then it works in x11.

I was trying to edit x_init.sh to call openvpn but doesn’t seem to wwork. Maybe i’m putting it in wrong place. Tried increasing sleep time also.

Thanks for any info.

#!/bin/bash
sleep 2
sudo fbi -T 7 -d /dev/fb0 --noverbose /home/osmc/Pictures/Desktop/lxdewallpaper.jpg &

sudo openvpn ~/OpenVPNConfig/UKSouthampton.ovpn

sleep 3
sudo su osmc -c "startx"
sudo openvt -c 7 -s -f clear
sudo systemctl start mediacenter
exit

If you rum it after startx it wont run untill you close x11. The main question is does it stop because kodi closes or is it x starting?

I’m not sure which is there way to tell?

Can openvpn be started from a script someway when it detects x11 is open?

Was thinking the same, but I’m mobile right now.