Hi Sam and all the Devs. Firstly, thanks for making my life so much more mediafied with all your hard work!
I've been reading through this thread trying to figure out if there is a solution to the issue I am experiencing which I don't quite understand. I've noted the need for logs and also done some testing myself to try and understand what MY specific issue is and what is happening.
The issue has already been discussed above but I was struggling to find the solution there... when I change the settings for the Skin (default Estuary skin running on a RPi2) the settings don't seem to save. For instance if I remove the display of "TV" or of "Radio" from the main menu it returns on reboot (reboot being completed by using the GUI menu).
Logs (http://pastebin.com/dKGXM1Lt) during the period of the changes don't show any errors but I don't see the specific .kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.estuary/settings.xml file datestamp being updated when i leave the settings menu. The only time I see it updated is if I eidt it manually via WinSCP or if I follow the workaround for the issue as it was seen in Kodi 16 (http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16695 - marked as resolved in Jarvis and fixed in Krypton - workaround is buried on one of the referenced threads but I found the below to work) :
- Change skin settings to wish to change
- navigate back to skin selection
- change skin (to for instance estouchy)
- Don't accept the changes
- Revert to old skin
then the new settings are written to the file (observed using winscp and directly via ssh).
If i manually change the settings in the settings.xml file they are retained. Initially this seems to be an issue writing to the settings.xml file after making the changes.
I have the issue also on an original Vero. Both installs were completed by overwriting the existing install using the details in https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-kodi-17-krypton-builds-for-raspberry-pi-continued/14628. I've tried renaming the .kodi folder and starting the settings again from scratch but this didn't seem to work either.
file permissions on the settings.xml file are rw-r--r-- and owner is osmc as i would expect.
Hope I've not missed anything...
EDIT: Just tried a fresh upgrade starting from a fresh osmc build on an RPi3 and then following the instructions to install the beta.
- Download installer from osmc website and write out the 2016-12-1 build to micro SD card
- Insert card into RPi3
- boot RPi3
- configure with only standard options available from the wizard and basic DHCP settings on wireless network and use classic skin
- reboot and ensure hostname change is effective - change no options
- follow instructions as per https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-kodi-17-krypton-builds-for-raspberry-pi-continued/14628
- reboot to upgrade
- Database updates migration on splash screen completes
- error about add-ons not being compatible but no add-ons listed
- message in top right about removable storage being mounted
- turn on Debug logging
- change options in skin settings so as not to display "Tv" or "Radio", navigate back out of menus to home screen
- TV and Radio options are still there and error about add-ons also appears again
- turn off debug logging
Logs @ http://paste.osmc.io/runimufagi
Oddly the first time that this was run through without debug logging there was a failure to update the settings.xml file, when debug was turned on it then worked ok as i tried to replicate the issue.... I've just tried removing "music videos" and "favourites" from the home screen in the skin settings and the same issue, the settings file does not update and thus a reboot brings the options back to the main home page.