[TESTING] Improved LPCM output for Vero 4K

Interesting, thanks. With a 5.0 flac, @JimKnopf got 3/2.1 on his AVR. Can you try a 5.0 flac, please, and remind us what AVR you have?

A clip from that Sense & Sensibility file would be useful as well for further testing.

No. Were you expecting any GUI changes?

I don’t have any 5.0 Flac files. My AVR is a Marantz NR1603.
Easy to snip out a chapter for you, where should I post it?

Try https://github.com/sfiera/flac-test-files

Dropbox or similar? Have mercy on my ‘broadband’, a 15sec clip will do!

Can you confirm when downloaded and I’ll remove.

Got it thanks.

Just tried a 5.0 FLAC and my AVR thinks it’s getting 7.1.

All is good, same behavior like on my AVR. I did a mistake when posting in internal chat among the mods.

Tried the upgrade to the test kernel… Put the line into the sources.list (and saved with ctrl+x and y), ran the command - everything like always - , but it outputs only this:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

And after the reboot the kernel version is still: Linux osmc 3.14.29-51-osmc… What’s happening here? :see_no_evil:
Any ideas how to force the upgrade to the test kernel - as the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot with deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main added to /etc/apt/sources.list doesn’t seem to work here for some reason?

I saw something like this when I updated this morning ahead of testing the 5.0 file I referred to earlier.

Which kernel version is shown when you run uname -a?

I get Linux osmc 3.14.29-51-osmc #1 SMP Tue Jan 2 09:35:33 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Short log: https://paste.osmc.tv/jokayuwiyo

Linux osmc 3.14.29-57-osmc #1 SMP Wed Feb 14 23:32:25 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

So given the date I gues no update has been applied, hence no extension of audio channel layouts via PCM.

though perhaps that’s a build date, not an install date, so I need to defer to others to interpret this.

That’s the kernel version. Wed Feb 14 23:32:25 is the release date and time. 3.14.29-51 would be the current stable version, released on Tue Jan 2 09:35:33.

Tried a manual reinstall of 3.14.29-57 now. It seems 3.14.29-57 was correctly installed before (I seem to have left the devel source in my sources.list) and had it downgraded to 3.14.29-51 when deleting the line and running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot again… I don’t know. A bit of confusion here. :roll_eyes:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero364-image-3.14.29-57-osmc did the trick. I’m on Linux osmc 3.14.29-57-osmc #1 SMP Wed Feb 14 23:32:25 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux now :+1:t2:

Will begin testing shortly…

WAIT! I think there’s something missing in the build in stretch-devel. I can get it working properly with flac 5.0 and the Sense & Sensibility clip using a mediacenter deb @sam_nazarko sent me but it looks like the published version is different in some way.

Ok :astonished: Let us know, as soon as there’re news. Or can you maybe send us that mediacenter deb, you got from Sam?

Let’s let Sam check it so everyone is testing the same thing.

Which kernel version and mediacenter version are you running which gave you somewhat different 5.0 FLAC test results than others here?

It’s in internal version package which was not published at all. With current

vero3 kernel 3.14.29-57
mediacenter 17.6.0-25

you only have the first patch available which maps 5.1 channel audio to PCM 5.1 or better 3/2.1.
Sorry folks for this confusion, the developers have to fiddle out what went wrong when the actual development stretch was published. Please, wait for news.

Eagerly waiting :slightly_smiling_face:

There is no updated kernel as part of this testing; but you may receive one from other improvements made in the staging repository.

It looks like I forgot to bump the version properly. I’ve done this now and kicked off a build, so the improvements should be available shortly in 30-45 minutes.

Sam