Installer doesn't scale well on HiDPI screens

The OSMC installer doesn’t seem to scale very well on HiDPI screens.
I have a Dell XPS 15 with resolution 3200x1800 and text size 200%, so it basically looks like 1600x900 and this is what the installer looks like:

It’s easy enough to workaround, just change resolution, text size and relogin to run the installer and reverse after. FYI the Rasbmc installer didn’t have this issue.

Ben

Hi there

I don’t have a HiDPI screen to test things on, but I’ll see what we can do to solve this

Sam

You could just test with any resolution with text size increased, just a standard feature of Win7+

Do you also use “Set custom text size (DPI)” option? I’ll have a look if we can recognize the text size setting and scale accordingly.

I’m not using a custom size, just setting the overall scaling in Windows 8.1:

It works pretty well at 125%, which would be common for people with a 15 inch 1080p screen. Some might even use 150% which may not work, but I haven’t tested. Obviously from my first screenshot 200% is no good.

I’ll admit I’m probably in the very small minority, but thought it best to report.

Ben

And for completeness, it “just” works at 150%:

Ah, right. Thanks for the update. I’ll have to rework the layout. Might take a while. I’ll come back here once there’s a fix-candidate

Is there any news on this?
I ran across this problem with the current version as well.
On Windows 8.1, 3840x2160, 15,6" screen.
Scaling set to 200%

I know… We need to move to Qt 5 too, add El Capitan support, quite a bit to do.

We will keep you posted when it’s done

Sam

btw, I notice this last week on Windows and Linux.
But on Linux I could read enough to complete the installer.

Yep, we still have not implemented HiDPI yet.

Are you making any progress on this subject?
I’m having trouble selecting the correct options when running the installer on a Surface Pro 4.

Best regards
Poul Anker

Not yet

Sam

raising-the-dead
Yeah, this needs a major rewrite of the whole installer. And we are only so many people writing it :slight_smile:

Looks like we’re going to have some fun over the next few months…

This is an easy fix:

1. Navigate to the directory you downloaded the osmc-installer.exe file to (default is c:/downloads).

2. Right click on the osmc-installer.exe icon and go to “Properties”

3. Click on the “Compatibility” tab, and check the box for “Override DPI scaling behavior.”

4. Make “Scaling performed by:” set to “System.”

5. Reboot the app and viola!

Hopefully this helps someone as I made an account just to say this was my solution.

Might be able to patch this in the manifest for now…