Include usbip support?

Can we include the kernel modules that the client and server require ?

Thanks !

Help mounting CDROM as a Network Block Device with OSMC

Please elaborate?

Thanks!

Sure - it lets you remotely access USB devices over the network as though they were physically attached locally.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/readme/tools-usb-usbip-README

The user space stuff is easily accessible but there’s a couple of kernel modules needed.

If you tell me what CONFIG_ options, or better yet, submit a pull request, it will be included in the next update

Sam

If you haven’t seen it, there’s an article here about compiling the modules for an RPi. They’re apparently already compiled for Raspbian and in the repo.

@penfold42 I’ll accept a PR to add this, or confirm the CONFIG_ options needed and I’ll get it included in the next update

Sam

Thanks for the reminder…

This is with 4.9.27:

CONFIG_USBIP_CORE=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HC_PORTS=8
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_NR_HCS=1
CONFIG_USBIP_HOST=m

Is that all you need?

That’s probably sufficient. If you can PR it to GitHub for all platforms, that would be appreciated.

Sam

Hello, I know this thread is old but I wanted to know if the usbip modules are already available for the Vero 4k.

Thanks.

I’ve added support for this for you:

So it will be in the next update (this month).

Cheers

Sam

Thank you Sam! I really appreciate it.

Hi Sam,

I’m new to the forum but I enjoy your osmc on a raspberry pi for quite a while now. I’s very good software, thanks!

A question to the usbip topic: would it be possible to include it in the RPi version of osmc as well? As I understand the patch above is for the vero only.

Thanks
morphZ

If it’s not in already I’ll be happy to accept a PR for it

Did it! Was my first PR. Hopefully did it right :slight_smile:

When will the patch be applied in an actual osmc update?

Thanks in advance.

Well done!

Looks good. We’ll give it some testing. It should then be in the next OSMC update.

Cheers

Sam

Hi

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

NB: this will update you to Debian Stretch

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam